Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
They're sinners. I would expect such from them. My Dad was raised in an Apostolic home, and backslid as a teenager. He stayed that way and drank and caroused and had his own rock band and sinned as much as he possibly could until he was 39 years old, when he finally turned his life around and gave it all back to God. Do I think my father was demon-possessed???? Um...no. Hard-nosed sinner? Yes!!! Unreachable? No.

Johnny Godair once visited my Dad (along with another minister whose name I can't recall) and witnessed to him and my father disrespected him and blew smoke in his face, but the visit affected him a great deal and was probably one of the many catalysts that finally brought him back to where he needed to be.

Anyway, I just don't think I can agree with the idea that all backsliders are demon-possessed.
Ok Just curious, how do you know your dad wasn't demon posessed at the time he blew smoke in a man of God's face?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
Forget about my mind, what does the scripture say are signs someone is demon possessed?
No disrespect meant here but you can look them up if you want to argue about whether the KOL are demon posessed. Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me if you think they are or not. The man of Gadera was posessed but he ran to worship Jesus. What he did was really not that much wierder than what rock and roll musicians do all the time. Running around screaming, tearing their clothes off, destroying hotel rooms, instruments, and writhing around on stage.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Shepherd View Post
Ok Just curious, how do you know your dad wasn't demon posessed at the time he blew smoke in a man of God's face?
Well, I don't know if this is a necessary step, but God filled him with the Holy Ghost at a campmeeting that Roland Baker was preaching back in the 70's, without ever having any demons cast out of him...???? Seems like that would be needed wouldn't it? [TIC]

Come on, JAS...you're reaching really hard on this one. Go back to your original points and defend those, or actually answer my question...Do you believe (or not) that all backsliders are demon-possessed according to the scripture you provided?

Either you believe it or you don't. Should be easy enough to answer. I'm just curious.

I just think it's a weird premise, and I'd like an answer, but of course you're not obligated.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No disrespect meant here but you can look them up if you want to argue about whether the KOL are demon posessed. Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me if you think they are or not. The man of Gadera was posessed but he ran to worship Jesus. What he did was really not that much wierder than what rock and roll musicians do all the time. Running around screaming, tearing their clothes off, destroying hotel rooms, instruments, and writhing around on stage.
They may be or they may not be. *shrug* I don't know what it matters in the long run. They're in a lost state regardless, and they need God, just like any other sinner out there.

I'm just interested in an answer to my question.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I don't know if this is a necessary step, but God filled him with the Holy Ghost at a campmeeting that Roland Baker was preaching back in the 70's, without ever having any demons cast out of him...???? Seems like that would be needed wouldn't it? [TIC]

Come on, JAS...you're reaching really hard on this one. Go back to your original points and defend those, or actually answer my question...Do you believe (or not) that all backsliders are demon-possessed according to the scripture you provided?

Either you believe it or you don't. Should be easy enough to answer. I'm just curious.

I just think it's a weird premise, and I'd like an answer, but of course you're not obligated.
No I have never stated that and I don't believe that.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No I have never stated that and I don't believe that.
Okay, then...was that so hard?

The truth is, I think my Daddy was just a plain ol' sinner. He rebelled against his parents and what he had been taught. He made sinful choices that led him deeper and deeper into a sinful life, and he had to go through some really tough stuff before he was willing to make any changes.

I'm not discounting satan's influence...but I do get tired of giving him so much credit. In most cases, we choose sin, and thus give satan more power in our lives, but it was our initial choice and giving that led to that--not satan being able to take anything away from us without our consent.

I guess I just don't see "sinner" and "demon-possessed" as the same thing. There were people in the Bible who did horrific things...but were they possessed of the devil? Or were they being disobedient to God and choosing a sinful path?

I don't believe my father was "possessed" simply because all my sisters and grandparents and my mother were in church (before he was) and never attested to that fact or even implied that it was a remote possibility.... Surely someone might have called attention to it? Or rebuked the devil?

I also believe that satan can influence a person without actually controlling them. And I believe a possessed person no longer has control, that satan has full control, and that it will be markedly visible and discernible. In the Bible, it didn't take Jesus' being on the scene to know the man was possessed...everyone already knew--it was obvious. It did take Jesus to deliver him, however.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay, then...was that so hard?

The truth is, I think my Daddy was just a plain ol' sinner. He rebelled against his parents and what he had been taught. He made sinful choices that led him deeper and deeper into a sinful life, and he had to go through some really tough stuff before he was willing to make any changes.

I'm not discounting satan's influence...but I do get tired of giving him so much credit. In most cases, we choose sin, and thus give satan more power in our lives, but it was our initial choice and giving that led to that--not satan being able to take anything away from us without our consent.

I guess I just don't see "sinner" and "demon-possessed" as the same thing. There were people in the Bible who did horrific things...but were they possessed of the devil? Or were they being disobedient to God and choosing a sinful path?

I don't believe my father was "possessed" simply because all my sisters and grandparents and my mother were in church (before he was) and never attested to that fact or even implied that it was a remote possibility.... Surely someone might have called attention to it? Or rebuked the devil?

I also believe that satan can influence a person without actually controlling them. And I believe a possessed person no longer has control, that satan has full control, and that it will be markedly visible and discernible. In the Bible, it didn't take Jesus' being on the scene to know the man was possessed...everyone already knew--it was obvious. It did take Jesus to deliver him, however.
Ok then? What do you mean? I wasn't avoiding your question.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree completely.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ok then? What do you mean? I wasn't avoiding your question.
That first line was all you could respond to? The rest of my post was so much more substantial...*sigh*

Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree completely.
Oh good. Now I think I'll go to bed, or I'm going to hate myself tomorrow morning!!!!!