Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Re: You not preaching holiness till you've named i

God doesn't want us to wear gold, nor does He want us to have facial hair.

Split hell wide open.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
God doesn't want us to wear gold, nor does He want us to have facial hair.

Split hell wide open.
Good thing they plucked the beard out of Jesus' cheeks before he died then, huh? I would have worrief about his death otherwise.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Banned

Pinstripe suits, pink shirts, split skirts patterned hosiery?? Really?? That's what we are worried about now days? What a joke
Old 09-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I believe parents should be a little more involved in their children's attire. I personally think those things could fall under the category of immodesty, but the big question is why parents do not demand more from their kids. I did some pretty stupid things as a kid, but I snuck around my parents. There is no way my dad would have let me go out in public and especially not church.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I believe parents should be a little more involved in their children's attire. I personally think those things could fall under the category of immodesty, but the big question is why parents do not demand more from their kids. I did some pretty stupid things as a kid, but I snuck around my parents. There is no way my dad would have let me go out in public and especially not church.
Go out in public how?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Acts 2:38 Wowii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I was referring to da ministry, on the platform attire. Sorry at my age they're all kids. Lolo?!?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Good thing they plucked the beard out of Jesus' cheeks before he died then, huh? I would have worrief about his death otherwise.
It should have been spelt " worried "
Old 09-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty.
(Exodus 28:2 KJV)

And thou shalt make a plate of pure gold, and grave upon it, like the engravings of a signet, HOLINESS TO THE LORD. And thou shalt put it on a blue lace, that it may be upon the mitre; upon the forefront of the mitre it shall be. And it shall be upon Aaron's forehead, that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things, which the children of Israel shall hallow in all their holy gifts; and it shall be always upon his forehead, that they may be accepted before the LORD.
(Exodus 28:36-38 KJV)

And thou shalt put the mitre upon his head, and put the holy crown upon the mitre. Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his head, and anoint him. And thou shalt bring his sons, and put coats upon them. And thou shalt gird them with girdles, Aaron and his sons, and put the bonnets on them: and the priest's office shall be theirs for a perpetual statute: and thou shalt consecrate Aaron and his sons.
(Exodus 29:6-9 KJV)

The priests wore head coverings in the OT. The head covering was 'holy' and was for 'glory and beauty'. So then, by the reasoning given by some here, it should be acceptable for Christians to likewise wear headcoverings. Yet we have this for Christian men, an instruction of the apostle:

Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
(1 Corinthians 11:4 KJV)

For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
(1 Corinthians 11:7 KJV)

Under the old covenant, men of God were to have their head covered when they approached God or when they officiated on His behalf. But under the new covenant, men are NOT to have their head covered when approaching God or speaking on His behalf. What was allowed under the old is forbidden under the new.

Let's look at another example:

Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD:
(Numbers 6:2 KJV)

All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
(Numbers 6:5 KJV)

All the days of his separation he is holy unto the LORD.
(Numbers 6:8 KJV)

But the apostle says:

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
(1 Corinthians 11:14-15 KJV)

Under the old covenant, a man separated himself to God and signified that separation by letting his hair grow long. His long uncut hair was a sign of holiness and devotion to God. Under the new covenant, a man's long uncut hair signifies shame. What was allowed under specific circumstances in the old is forbidden in general circumstances in the new.

Jewelry falls into the exact same category. Things that were allowed, even commanded, under the old, and which signified spiritually good things, under the new are forbidden and signify spiritually bad things.
Da Kine one !!! bump

Last edited by Cracker Barrel; 09-06-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Barrel View Post
It should have been spelt " worried "
Typos are different than lack of spelling skills.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Folks, you want everyone to refrain from jewelry, fine. I need say no more. I disagree with your insistence, and there's no reason to get competitive in a debate over it. Just disagree. I am just saying the thought that one thing being sin in the old testament and not sin now doesn't work and I'll never agree with such a thing as it now stands. The headcovering issue was not a sin in the old any more than it is in the new, as much as the old covenant is not sinful now though things have changed. It's just not a sin issue, I think.