Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

Re: Leave A Message For The Not So Departed Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Brad, I just saw where you are in The Woodlands. I was there visiting an Aunt in October. Wish I could have met you in person!
lol - I'm not nearly as fascinating in real life. I still haven't even met James Griffin, although I have met Nate Slatter, NYTXN, Timmy, Lois Gibson, Gary Tribble and Darryl Hooper.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Jellybean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Murphy View Post
lol - I'm not nearly as fascinating in real life. I still haven't even met James Griffin, although I have met Nate Slatter, NYTXN, Timmy, Lois Gibson, Gary Tribble and Darryl Hooper.
Whoa! Now THERE'S some old-timers!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Griffin View Post
Admin are the debbil.
LOL!!! That extended edit time is a lifesaver for stupid typos.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Brad, I am not exciting on the forum or in person so that would have been fine.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Hello everyone!

Miss you, love you!

I'm a nana now and expecting a second grandchild in July. Life is wonderful and God is good!!

We don't deserve his goodness, but I'm thankful for it!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Administrator

If any of them are reading I do miss the departed cons and ultra cons. Despite the vast gulf in thinking there were some great discussions and friendships started. I am a better man for all of that.

Despite believing one will split the pit for wearing short sleeves and exposing those sexy elbows, which I find an amazing concept, I remember Elder Steve Epley giving young ministers excellent advise on planning for their future (IRA's or 401k's etc). Not something I would have expected from an ultra con but oh so needed.

Coonskinner is a blue jean overall wearing redneck with a degree in English who can quote classical poetry while shooting something.

I hate to start naming names because there were so many and I know I will miss a bunch so I will stop. Of course I do have to mention WWOD who really is from the NFCF days. One of the most interesting people to ever post. Nothing like sitting back and watching the bi monthly WWOD implosion as he would go on a tear which all, including himself, knew would result in being banned for some period of time.

Ok, one more name mention. Felicity, who was the sweet conflicted exUPCer gone charismatic longing to go home to the Mothership AND DID!!!! Not a story you hear very often from those who leave old time legalistic Oneness Pentecost.

For the life of me I can't remember what Bro. Holland's screen name was but he was an absolute encyclopedia of Oneness Pentecostal history. Also told some of the funniest stories I have ever read. I had the privilege of sitting with him at a conference that was a great experience.

So many more but I will stop.

Titus2woman on AF
F

Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
If any of them are reading I do miss the departed cons and ultra cons. Despite the vast gulf in thinking there were some great discussions and friendships started. I am a better man for all of that.

Despite believing one will split the pit for wearing short sleeves and exposing those sexy elbows, which I find an amazing concept, I remember Elder Steve Epley giving young ministers excellent advise on planning for their future (IRA's or 401k's etc). Not something I would have expected from an ultra con but oh so needed.

Coonskinner is a blue jean overall wearing redneck with a degree in English who can quote classical poetry while shooting something.

I hate to start naming names because there were so many and I know I will miss a bunch so I will stop. Of course I do have to mention WWOD who really is from the NFCF days. One of the most interesting people to ever post. Nothing like sitting back and watching the bi monthly WWOD implosion as he would go on a tear which all, including himself, knew would result in being banned for some period of time.

Ok, one more name mention. Felicity, who was the sweet conflicted exUPCer gone charismatic longing to go home to the Mothership AND DID!!!! Not a story you hear very often from those who leave old time legalistic Oneness Pentecost.

For the life of me I can't remember what Bro. Holland's screen name was but he was an absolute encyclopedia of Oneness Pentecostal history. Also told some of the funniest stories I have ever read. I had the privilege of sitting with him at a conference that was a great experience.

So many more but I will stop.
Had the word "Bishop" in it but I don't remember the whole thing.

I don't post nearly as much not just because the cons have left but more because I feel like we have a shared past but not a shared future (I'm not in the same boat, or even in a different boat, I'm sitting on land watching everyone rowing around in a pond in their various boats and trying to figure out why they keep doing it.)

Last edited by Brad Murphy; 02-05-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: too candid...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Had the word "Bishop" in it but I don't remember the whole thing.

I don't post nearly as much not just because the cons have left but more because I feel like we have a shared past but not a shared future (I'm not in the same boat, or even in a different boat, I'm sitting on land watching everyone rowing around in a pond in their various boats and trying to figure out why they keep doing it.)
Don't ever forget that no matter what boat you are in there is at least one person on here who would put you on their church board! LOL!!!

I am glad you still check in from time to time even if you feel it is a different world than what you are in. At least here no one can physically grab you by the arm and drag you to an altar and shake you til you "get right".

Titus2woman on AF
F

Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, CC1, by the way I think that guy's name was BishopOne or Bishop1
Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks, CC1, by the way I think that guy's name was BishopOne or Bishop1
Bingo! Yup I think you are correct.

Titus2woman on AF
F