Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-28-2024, 06:31 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Sabbath Keeping Denominations

Sabbath Keeping Denominations.

Old 07-28-2024, 07:20 PM
This is still that!

Re: Sabbath Keeping Denominations

That was interesting.
Thanks for posting it.
Old 07-29-2024, 07:12 AM
Sister Alvear

I think it would be impossible to keep the Sabbath rules today...Just my opinion...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 07-29-2024, 08:39 AM
This is still that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I think it would be impossible to keep the Sabbath rules today...Just my opinion...
Sabbath rest:

A Delight, Not a Burden

- Isaiah 58:13-14: "If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the Lord’s holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, then you will find your joy in the Lord..."

A Time of Refreshment

- Exodus 31:17: "It is a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed."
- Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

A Holy Convocation

- Leviticus 23:3: "There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly."
- Hebrews 10:24-25: "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

A Blessing, Not a Burden

- Psalm 92:1-2: "It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O Most High, proclaiming your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night..."
- Isaiah 66:23: "From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord."

In this picture, Sabbath rest and holy convocation with the church are portrayed as a blessing, not a burden. It's a time of:

- Delight and joy in the Lord (Isaiah 58:13-14)
- Refreshment and rest for the soul (Exodus 31:17, Matthew 11:28-30)
- Sacred assembly and community with fellow believers (Leviticus 23:3, Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Praise, worship, and proclamation of God's love and faithfulness (Psalm 92:1-2, Isaiah 66:23)

May this picture encourage you to embrace Sabbath rest and holy convocation as a blessing from the Lord!
Old 07-29-2024, 11:17 AM
Sister Alvear

a rest...yes...but keeping the laws of the old testament is impossible today...I am not against resting...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 07-29-2024, 11:30 AM
This is still that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
a rest...yes...but keeping the laws of the old testament is impossible today...I am not against resting...

Love you Sis Alvear!

Much of the old testament has been fulfilled in Christ such as the sacrificial system.

The law and the prophets are Jesus' love letter to His Church.

The Passover and other festivals that are prophetic of Messiah and His coming Kingdom. The Tabernacle plan is the gospel of Messiah. The prophets calling Israel to repentance and promising restoration. It's beautiful.

Hebrews 10:7, quotes Psalm 40:7-8 which says:
"Then I said, 'Behold, I have come—in the volume of the book it is written of me—to do your will, O God.'" (Hebrews 10:7, ESV)

This verse is a reference to the scroll of God's book (old testament), where the plan of salvation and the story of Jesus Christ is written. Jesus is saying that He has come to fulfill God's will, as it is written in the Scriptures.

In Psalm 40:7-8, David wrote:
"Then I said, 'Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me. I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.'" (Psalm 40:7-8, ESV)

But the 10 commandments have not been abolished.

Last edited by Amanah; 07-29-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

Love you Sis Alvear!

Much of the old testament has been fulfilled in Christ such as the sacrificial system.

The law and the prophets are Jesus' love letter to His Church.

The Passover and other festivals that are prophetic of Messiah and His coming Kingdom. The Tabernacle plan is the gospel of Messiah. The prophets calling Israel to repentance and promising restoration. It's beautiful.

Hebrews 10:7, quotes Psalm 40:7-8 which says:
"Then I said, 'Behold, I have come—in the volume of the book it is written of me—to do your will, O God.'" (Hebrews 10:7, ESV)

This verse is a reference to the scroll of God's book (old testament), where the plan of salvation and the story of Jesus Christ is written. Jesus is saying that He has come to fulfill God's will, as it is written in the Scriptures.

In Psalm 40:7-8, David wrote:
"Then I said, 'Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me. I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.'" (Psalm 40:7-8, ESV)

But the 10 commandments have not been abolished.
Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
Old 07-30-2024, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:21 PM
This is still that!

The "law" in Galatians 4:21 refers to the entire Mosaic code, including ceremonial and sacrificial laws, which were fulfilled in Jesus (Colossians 2:14). In contrast, the Sabbath commandment is a moral law, part of the Ten Commandments, which remains in effect.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:40 PM
This is still that!

The Ten Commandments, including the Sabbath, are a unified moral code (Exodus 20:1-17, Deuteronomy 5:6-21).

Jesus and the apostles recognized the Sabbath as a moral commandment, not just a ceremonial or civil law (Matthew 12:1-14, Luke 4:16, Acts 13:42-44).

The Sabbath commandment is rooted in creation (Genesis 2:2-3), making it a universal moral principle, not limited to Israel.

The other nine commandments are still considered moral laws, essential for humanity's well-being and relationship with God. It's inconsistent to dismiss the Sabbath while upholding the others.

The Sabbath promotes values like rest, worship, and community, which are essential for human flourishing and align with God's character.

The Sabbath serves as a weekly reminder of God's sovereignty, creation, and redemption, making it an enduring moral imperative.

By considering these points, it's reasonable to conclude that the Sabbath, as part of the Ten Commandments, remains a moral law still in effect, just like the other nine commandments.